1905: Damage to the Rhyd Ddu Beddgelert Road & Destruction of Beddgelert Bridge

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

DAMAGE TO THE RHYD DDU BEDDGELERT ROAD

The surveyor reported as follows: “The flood, heavy in all parts of the county, exceeded all records in the Colwyn watershed, formed by the western slopes of Snowdon and the eastern slopes of Moel Hebog. The Caegors county bridge, across the main road between Rhyd-ddu and Beddgelert, proved far too small to take the flood water of the Colwyn River, the overflowing water from this point onward to Beddgelert, a distance of two miles, took to the main road, where the grade is steep, and reduced it from a main road in good repair and of smooth surface to the state of a river bed. Immediate steps were taken to restore the surface, which will take months to regain its former smoothness. Damaged water holes, drains, and culvert are being cleaned and repaired, and the drainage in every way made good. Metalling is prepared to make up for what was washed away. Flood culverts of a large size will be necessary to increase the water taking capacity of Caegors Bridge, which is now proved beyond doubt to be too small for the largest floods. Restoring the roads exclusive of the ordinary maintenance cost, will amount to about £200, and the flood culverts to about £100.”

DESTRUCTION OF BEDDGELERT BRIDGE

At a meeting of the Surveyor’s Committee, the Surveyor reported as follows: The unprecedented rainfall in the Colwyn watershed had the further unfortunate effect of displacing the pitching under one of the arches of Beddgelert Bridge, thereby, partly, getting under the pier in the river, and partly under the south abutment; at the same time the stem of a large tree, I am informed, was floated down at the height of the flood, the rapid current striking it with force against the cut-water of the apparently already undermined pier which instantly gave way, bringing down with it the two modern arches put in as a widening to the old two arched bridge, and about a half diagonally of one of the old arches. The remaining arch or a fourth of the bridge was left secure and unshaken, one springer resting on about the fourth remainder of the pier in the middle of the river. The work of restoring the permanent structure was proceeded with at once, improving the width by about four feet, and improving the sectional waterway by about 66 square feet, the previous waterway being 334 square feet. The cost of restoring will amount to about £350, and of the widening of the bridge and of the waterway about £200. The steps taken, and the plains submitted, were approved of.

Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald 5 October 1905

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail