Snowdon Ranger, Rhyd Ddu

| 0
AddressYHA Snowdon Ranger, Rhyd Ddu, Gwynedd, LL54 7YS 
Phone03453 719659
WebsiteClick here for website
EmailClick here to contact

Snowdon Ranger is a former inn, named after one of the first guides to show people to the summit. It has now been a Youth Hostel for 80 years. It is set in an area steeped in Welsh history with the village of Beddgelert 5 miles to the South and the World Heritage town of Caernarfon 8 miles to the North.

The Snowdon Ranger Hotel. Liverpool Daily Post, 14 April 1939

Brief History

1857Evan Roberts was the Proprietor.
1878Robert Roberts was the Proprietor. His wife Mary Roberts suffered an injury with a meat cleaver and died shortly after.
1882Licensee James Covell (b.1848 d.1889)
1892Licensee Mrs Ann Covell (b.1852 d.1911)
1899Licensee W. E. Webster was fined for allowing drinking on a Sunday
1907Licence transferred from Mrs Foulkes to William Harrison, former schoolmaster at Nantmor School
1914Licence allowed to lapse by owner Rev. J. M. Parry and hotel converted to a home of rest
1939Building acquired and converted to a Youth Hostel

Also see: 1878: Sudden death near Carnarvon


Snowdon Ranger, Rhyd Ddu

AddressYHA Snowdon Ranger, Rhyd Ddu, Gwynedd, LL54 7YS Phone03453 719659WebsiteClick here for websiteEmailClick here to contact Snowdon Ranger is a former inn, named after one of the first guides to show people to the summit. It has now been a Youth … Continued

Tagged , , | Comments Off on Snowdon Ranger, Rhyd Ddu

1914: Snowdon Ranger Hotel – now a home of rest

SNOWDON RANGER HOTEL. NOW A HOME OF REST. This well-known house, formerly an hotel, has been transformed into a home of rest for missionaries. It will be the property of the society of the Sacred Mission, which is a Church … Continued

Posted in Newspapers | Tagged , | Leave a comment

1907: The Snowdon Ranger Hotel – transfer of licence

Carnarvon County Police Court Saturday, before Dr Taylor Morgan (Chairman), Meesrs D. P. Williams, G. J. Roberts, J. Isaard Davies, Arthur Williams, T. J. Davies, Robert Roberts, and H. Jones Roberts THE SNOWDON RANGER Mr R Pughe Griffiths applied for … Continued

Posted in Nantmor, Newspapers, Rhyd-Ddu | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment
FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

Hotels & Inns

| 0

Prince Llewelyn, Beddgelert

Royal Goat Hotel, Beddgelert

Saracens Head, Beddgelert

Sygun Fawr Country House Hotel

Tanronnen Inn, Beddgelert

 

 

Hotels and hostelries of yesteryear:

 

Arthur Temperance Hotel, Beddgelert

Colwyn Temperance Hotel, Beddgelert

Frondeg Temperance Hotel, Beddgelert

Gelert House, Beddgelert – originally the tap room built in 1870 for the Royal Goat Hotel – it became Temperance Hotel around the turn of the 20th century – now Gelert House

 

New House Temperance Hotel, Gwynant street, Beddgelert

Pwllheli Temperance, Gwynant street, Beddgelert

Snowdon Ranger Hotel, Rhyd Ddu – now a Youth Hostel (YHA Snowdon Ranger)

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

1914: Snowdon Ranger Hotel – now a home of rest

posted in: Newspapers | 0

SNOWDON RANGER HOTEL.

NOW A HOME OF REST.

This well-known house, formerly an hotel, has been transformed into a home of rest for missionaries.

It will be the property of the society of the Sacred Mission, which is a Church of England community of men, and of which the Bishop of Southwell is Visitor. The society, which is engaged in several foreign missions and is also working in English parishes, has its chief house at Kelham Hall, between Newark and Southwell, where there is a theological college and a large staff of tutors. Many of the students have no private means, and the society undertakes the whole responsibility of their education.

It is the intention of the society, it appears, to use the Snowdon Ranger as a house of rest and a holiday resort for their missionaries from abroad, for tutors during holidays, and for any students who may need a change of air. Occasionally also a large number of visitors may be entertained there. Kelham Hall is now so full that the society has for some time desired an additional house which may serve as an overflow house for the clergy. There is no intention at present of building a chapel, but should the house become uncomfortably full such an addition might prove to be necessary. The college has had more than 90 men ordained, including a few Welshmen. The licence of the hotel was recently allowed to lapse, no application for its renewal being made at the last licensing session. It is situated in one of the most romantic spots in Wales.

North Wales Chronicle, 14 May 1914

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

1907: The Snowdon Ranger Hotel – transfer of licence

posted in: Nantmor, Newspapers, Rhyd-Ddu | 0

Carnarvon County Police Court

Saturday, before Dr Taylor Morgan (Chairman), Meesrs D. P. Williams, G. J. Roberts, J. Isaard Davies, Arthur Williams, T. J. Davies, Robert Roberts, and H. Jones Roberts

THE SNOWDON RANGER

Mr R Pughe Griffiths applied for the temporary transfer of the license of the above house from Mrs Foulkes, who is leaving, to Mr Harrison, who had been schoolmaster at Nantmor for 35 years.

The application was granted, the magistrates remarking that it was desirable that Mr Harrison should become the tenant, and not the manager only.

North Wales Express, 12 April 1907


The Snowdon Ranger

Mr Pughe Griffiths applied for the full transfer of this license to Mr W. Harrison, late schoolmaster at Nantmor. This was granted.

North Wales Express, 3 May 1907

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail