Nantmoor Council School was built in 1872 and the doors opened on 4 August 1873.
The former Headmaster’s house stood next to the school and is now named Ty’r Ysgol.
Nantmor School, Beddgelert
Nantmor, or Nanmor, as it was known in ancient times, is a mountainous, but beautiful mountain. Here is the famous Aberglasllyn bridge, and the romantic boulevard, which attract thousands of people every year to admire. Before the making of the barrage, by Mr. Maddocks, at the beginning of this century, tides would come up, and cover the lower reaches of the stream, but now, there are glimpses of gifted children playing along the flat meadows, – “where the water and the Wave Path were, “when the place was checking the name Nant y Mor. See suggestive pictures of those who attended the school last October, namely the current generation of scholars in the area, magnificently imagined by Mr. E. R. Williams, Erw Fair, Beddgelert. The schoolhouse was built in 1872, on convenient grounds, which was donated to us by the gentleman, and the rightful historian Edward Breese, F.R.S.A., Porth Madoc, author of the learned volume “Ealenders of Gwynedd.” The value of this gift, to a scattered area like Nantmor, cannot easily be priced out, because before that we had to be content going all the way to Beddgelert to seek some information, or not, as unhelpful tadpoles to ourselves and to society. Since August 4, 1873, when the doors of the new school were opened, and the first mintate marched through them into the education center, the one teacher who continues to labor tirelessly among us, Mr. William Harrison. He is a native of Llan Ffestiniog, and the poet Dewi Moelwyn was his uncle. He has in the course of the years done a great and praiseworthy job. This is vividly evidenced by the fact that in Australia, Tasmania, America, and some English towns, there are crowds of funny old contemporaries climbing the steep hills of the desert. The sewing is faithfully and carefully supervised, since the opening, by Mrs. Ellen Jones, Bull Bay, a relative of “Wil Jones, the Bododydd,” who through his own extraordinary skill and kindness of fate became a well-known gentleman. The girl can sometimes be intrigued – sometimes to our surprise. and none of them can be ridiculed with Ceiriog’s arrogant words, – ” But knit he can’t, with Ow! He does not know about socks repair sensors.
Cambrian News, 18 January 1907
Mr. Harrison, headmaster of the Nantmor Council School, was presented at the County Education Committee last week with a merit certificate, Nantmor Infant’s Department being one of the four best attended schools in the county during the year. The percentage was 97.1.
Yr Herald Cymraeg, 29 December 1912
The report of Mr L. J. Roberts, the school inspector, was received, and the public will no doubt wish to know that it is entirely satisfactory. The report states:
“The exercise and tone are excellent, and generally the instruction is thoughtful and intelligent, and the work of the children sound and satisfactory. all classes have resulted in a marked improvement in reading. ”
Yr Herald Cymraeg, 29 December 1912
Friday, a meeting was held to present the children with rewards for their presence. This school stands second for presence in the Porthmadog area. Many of the parents were present, as were some of the local managers. The awards were presented by Miss Priestley, Cae ‘Dafydd, who is one of the managers and feels great humility at the school. We hope that she will find enjoyment and pleasure in her work visiting the school, and that she will be free and ready to suggest some necessary improvement in the setting. There were reports by John Humphrey Evans, Mathew H. Williams, Catherine Parry, Mary Jones Williams, Margretta Thomas, Annie Parry, and songs by Judith Griffith (Christmas carol of Mr L. J. Roberts), Annie Hughes, and Florrie Roberts. Mr Thomas Evans, Dinas Ddu spoke during the meeting; John Hughes, Overseer of two school managers). Owen Jones, Eliazar Jones, John Williams, and Hugh Williams, who gave the children many good tips. Prizes were won by Annie Hughes, Mary Parry, Janet Roberts, Mary Humphreys, Alun Hughes, John Humphrey Evans, John M Roberts, Thomas W. Parry, John Jones, Maggie Humphreys, Mathew H. Williams, Robert Williams, Willie Thomas, Mary Jane Williams, Florrie Roberts, and Martha Jane Thomas. Through a vote the children decided that Annie Hughes, Tanrhiw, was “the girl for discovery”, and Mathew H. Williams, Brynkynnon, “the ‘find boy” at the school, and received both awards. We are sorry that only three school managers could attend. We trust that they will all meet in order to arrange a meeting again like the above, on one evening, and give the children a “tea party” in the afternoon. It is a pity that the children of our area are missing out on other areas in this respect.
The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 2 August 1918
HEROES MEMORIAL. – Five children from Nantmor Council School have collected C3 14s. 4d. towards the North Wales Heroes Memorial.
The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 4 April 1919
APPOINTMENT.— Miss E. A. Owen head-mistress of Nantmor Council School, has been appointed head mistress of Golan School. Mr Griffith Williams, B.A., will resume the head-ship at Nantmor.