Railway

| 0

The Welsh Highland Railway / Rheilffordd Eryri

The Welsh Highland Railway now runs from Caernarfon to Portmadog and five stations or halts are situated in our study area:

Snowdon Ranger – Halt

Rhyd Ddu – Station

Meillionen – Halt [temporarily closed until June 2018]

Beddgelert – Station

Nantmor – Halt



Railway Book 1922

Name

Gauge

Date Incorporated

Date Opened

Length

Head Office

Secretary

Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon

1ft 11 1/2in

7 August 1901

4 miles 60 chains

Clark Street, Dolgarrog, North Wales

C. E. Hemmings, 4 Broad St. Place, London EC2

Welsh Highland Railway 1923-1937

1941: Track taken up for use in war effort.

The Portmadoc, Beddgelert & South Snowdon Railway (PBSSR) never ran a service.

2009: The rebuilt Beddgelert Station was officially opened by Lord Elis-Thomas on 7 April 2009.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

1865: Beddgelert and Portmadoc Railway

posted in: Newspapers | 0

We understand that the first sod of this branch of railway will be cut at Beddgelert some day next week, a full report of the proceedings of which will appear in this paper. This line will join the tramway which has been made from the Croesor Quarry to the Port near to the Glaslyn Inn, and will be carried beyond the harbour of Portmadoc to the Borth. As there are a great many mines in the neighbourhood of Beddgelert, some of which cannot now be profitably worked because of the difficulty and the expense of transit; and as during the summer a great number of tourists and business men visit the village and the picturesque neighbourhood, this line will be a great accommodation to the public and will be certain to pay a good dividend. The whole of the land has been already purchased, and an Act of Parliament is only required to grant running powers over the existing Croesor railway, and to extend the same for a few yards to the open harbour at Borth. There will be a grand dinner at the Goat Hotel on the day the first sod is cut.

North Wales Chronicle, 25 February 1865

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail