Nantmor Council School

| 0

Nantmoor Council School was built in 1872 and the doors opened on 4 August 1873.

O.S. Map of Nantmor published in 1953
O.S. Map of Nantmor published in 1953

The former Headmaster’s house stood next to the school and is now named Ty’r Ysgol.


Nantmor School, Beddgelert

Nantmor, or Nanmor, as it was known in ancient times, is a mountainous, but beautiful mountain. Here is the famous Aberglasllyn bridge, and the romantic boulevard, which attract thousands of people every year to admire. Before the making of the barrage, by Mr. Maddocks, at the beginning of this century, tides would come up, and cover the lower reaches of the stream, but now, there are glimpses of gifted children playing along the flat meadows, – “where the water and the Wave Path were, “when the place was checking the name Nant y Mor. See suggestive pictures of those who attended the school last October, namely the current generation of scholars in the area, magnificently imagined by Mr. E. R. Williams, Erw Fair, Beddgelert. The schoolhouse was built in 1872, on convenient grounds, which was donated to us by the gentleman, and the rightful historian Edward Breese, F.R.S.A., Porth Madoc, author of the learned volume “Ealenders of Gwynedd.” The value of this gift, to a scattered area like Nantmor, cannot easily be priced out, because before that we had to be content going all the way to Beddgelert to seek some information, or not, as unhelpful tadpoles to ourselves and to society. Since August 4, 1873, when the doors of the new school were opened, and the first mintate marched through them into the education center, the one teacher who continues to labor tirelessly among us, Mr. William Harrison. He is a native of Llan Ffestiniog, and the poet Dewi Moelwyn was his uncle. He has in the course of the years done a great and praiseworthy job. This is vividly evidenced by the fact that in Australia, Tasmania, America, and some English towns, there are crowds of funny old contemporaries climbing the steep hills of the desert. The sewing is faithfully and carefully supervised, since the opening, by Mrs. Ellen Jones, Bull Bay, a relative of “Wil Jones, the Bododydd,” who through his own extraordinary skill and kindness of fate became a well-known gentleman. The girl can sometimes be intrigued – sometimes to our surprise. and none of them can be ridiculed with Ceiriog’s arrogant words, – ” But knit he can’t, with Ow! He does not know about socks repair sensors.

1892.


School Attendance

Cambrian News, 18 January 1907

Mr. Harrison, headmaster of the Nantmor Council School, was presented at the County Education Committee last week with a merit certificate, Nantmor Infant’s Department being one of the four best attended schools in the county during the year. The percentage was 97.1.


Council School

Yr Herald Cymraeg, 29 December 1912

Nantmor. Ysgol. School.

The report of Mr L. J. Roberts, the school inspector, was received, and the public will no doubt wish to know that it is entirely satisfactory. The report states:

“The exercise and tone are excellent, and generally the instruction is thoughtful and intelligent, and the work of the children sound and satisfactory. all classes have resulted in a marked improvement in reading. ”


Children awarded

Yr Herald Cymraeg, 29 December 1912

Nantmoor school chgildren awarded

Friday, a meeting was held to present the children with rewards for their presence. This school stands second for presence in the Porthmadog area. Many of the parents were present, as were some of the local managers. The awards were presented by Miss Priestley, Cae ‘Dafydd, who is one of the managers and feels great humility at the school. We hope that she will find enjoyment and pleasure in her work visiting the school, and that she will be free and ready to suggest some necessary improvement in the setting. There were reports by John Humphrey Evans, Mathew H. Williams, Catherine Parry, Mary Jones Williams, Margretta Thomas, Annie Parry, and songs by Judith Griffith (Christmas carol of Mr L. J. Roberts), Annie Hughes, and Florrie Roberts. Mr Thomas Evans, Dinas Ddu spoke during the meeting; John Hughes, Overseer of two school managers). Owen Jones, Eliazar Jones, John Williams, and Hugh Williams, who gave the children many good tips. Prizes were won by Annie Hughes, Mary Parry, Janet Roberts, Mary Humphreys, Alun Hughes, John Humphrey Evans, John M Roberts, Thomas W. Parry, John Jones, Maggie Humphreys, Mathew H. Williams, Robert Williams, Willie Thomas, Mary Jane Williams, Florrie Roberts, and Martha Jane Thomas. Through a vote the children decided that Annie Hughes, Tanrhiw, was “the girl for discovery”, and Mathew H. Williams, Brynkynnon, “the ‘find boy” at the school, and received both awards. We are sorry that only three school managers could attend. We trust that they will all meet in order to arrange a meeting again like the above, on one evening, and give the children a “tea party” in the afternoon. It is a pity that the children of our area are missing out on other areas in this respect.

Heroes Memorial

The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 2 August 1918

HEROES MEMORIAL. – Five children from Nantmor Council School have collected C3 14s. 4d. towards the North Wales Heroes Memorial.


Appointment

The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 4 April 1919

APPOINTMENT.— Miss E. A. Owen head-mistress of Nantmor Council School, has been appointed head mistress of Golan School. Mr Griffith Williams, B.A., will resume the head-ship at Nantmor.

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

School Footbridge / Pont Droed Ysgol

| 0

The footbridge spans the Colwyn River (Afon Colwyn) to link the A4085 Carnarvon Road with Beddgelert Primary School (Ysgol Beddgelert).

 

School Footbridge 2012
© Jaggery. Licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

 

The School from the Footbridge 2012
© Jaggery. Licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

Ysgol Beddgelert

| 0
geograph-394514-by-Eric-Jones
Beddgelert School, 2007. Photo © Eric Jones. Licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Principal

Address

Phone number

Email

Mrs Esyllt Williams

Ffordd Caernarfon, Beddgelert, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 4UY

01766 890307

pennaeth@beddgelert.gwynedd.sch.uk


Ysgol Gynradd Beddgelert is a small rural school, which provides bilingual education to pupils in the village and the surrounding rural area. It comes under the care of Gwynedd local authority.

There are 26 pupils aged between 4 and 11 years on roll, and one nursery age child attends on a part-time basis. Pupils are divided into two mixed-age classes. About 15.3% of pupils are eligible for free school meals. About 7% come from Welsh-speaking homes. A very few pupils come from an ethnic minority background and a very few come from a background where English is an additional language.

In line with the local authority’s policy, Welsh is used as the medium of teaching in the Foundation Phase. In key stage 2, pupils are taught through the medium of Welsh and English, and the aim is to ensure that they are bilingual by the time they transfer to the secondary school.

The school has stated that it has about 12% of pupils who have additional learning needs. No pupils have a statement of special educational needs and there are no children in care.

The headteacher was appointed in June 2004. The school was last inspected in April 2011.

The individual school budget per pupil for Ysgol Gynradd Beddgelert in 2014-2015 is £7,096. The maximum per pupil in primary schools in Gwynedd is £10,744 and the minimum is £3,220. Ysgol Gynradd Beddgelert is in the 11th position of the 95 primary schools in Gwynedd in terms of the school budget per pupil.

The above was extracted from ‘Report on Ysgol Gynradd Beddgelert’ by Estyn, Her Majesty’s Inspectorate for Education and Training in Wales following inspection in June 2015. Crown Copyright.


Former Headteachers:

2012: Catrin Gwilym

Also see:

2012: Beddgelert school gets ready to celebrate 100th birthday

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

Ty’r Ysgol Nantmor

| 0

Nantmoor School was built in 1872 and the doors opened on 4 August 1873.

O.S. Map of Nantmor published in 1953
O.S. Map of Nantmor published in 1953

The former Headmaster’s house stood next to the school and is now named Ty’r Ysgol.

Ty'r Ysgol, Nantmor

Nantmor School, Beddgelert

Nantmor, or Nanmor, as it was known in ancient times, is a mountainous, but beautiful mountain. Here is the famous Aberglasllyn bridge, and the romantic boulevard, which attract thousands of people every year to admire. Before the making of the barrage, by Mr. Maddocks, at the beginning of this century, tides would come up, and cover the lower reaches of the stream, but now, there are glimpses of gifted children playing along the flat meadows, – “where the water and the Wave Path were, “when the place was checking the name Nant y Mor. See suggestive pictures of those who attended the school last October, namely the current generation of scholars in the area, magnificently imagined by Mr. E. R. Williams, Erw Fair, Beddgelert. The schoolhouse was built in 1872, on convenient grounds, which was donated to us by the gentleman, and the rightful historian Edward Breese, F.R.S.A., Porth Madoc, author of the learned volume “Ealenders of Gwynedd.” The value of this gift, to a scattered area like Nantmor, cannot easily be priced out, because before that we had to be content going all the way to Beddgelert to seek some information, or not, as unhelpful tadpoles to ourselves and to society. Since August 4, 1873, when the doors of the new school were opened, and the first mintate marched through them into the education center, the one teacher who continues to labor tirelessly among us, Mr. William Harrison. He is a native of Llan Ffestiniog, and the poet Dewi Moelwyn was his uncle. He has in the course of the years done a great and praiseworthy job. This is vividly evidenced by the fact that in Australia, Tasmania, America, and some English towns, there are crowds of funny old contemporaries climbing the steep hills of the desert. The sewing is faithfully and carefully supervised, since the opening, by Mrs. Ellen Jones, Bull Bay, a relative of “Wil Jones, the Bododydd,” who through his own extraordinary skill and kindness of fate became a well-known gentleman. The girl can sometimes be intrigued – sometimes to our surprise. and none of them can be ridiculed with Ceiriog’s arrogant words, – ” But knit he can’t, with Ow! He does not know about socks repair sensors.

1892.


School Attendance

Cambrian News, 18 January 1907

Mr. Harrison, headmaster of the Nantmor Council School, was presented at the County Education Committee last week with a merit certificate, Nantmor Infant’s Department being one of the four best attended schools in the county during the year. The percentage was 97.1.


Council School

Yr Herald Cymraeg, 29 December 1912

Nantmor. Ysgol. School.

The report of Mr L. J. Roberts, the school inspector, was received, and the public will no doubt wish to know that it is entirely satisfactory. The report states:

“The exercise and tone are excellent, and generally the instruction is thoughtful and intelligent, and the work of the children sound and satisfactory. all classes have resulted in a marked improvement in reading. ”


Children awarded

Yr Herald Cymraeg, 29 December 1912

Nantmoor school chgildren awarded

Friday, a meeting was held to present the children with rewards for their presence. This school stands second for presence in the Porthmadog area. Many of the parents were present, as were some of the local managers. The awards were presented by Miss Priestley, Cae ‘Dafydd, who is one of the managers and feels great humility at the school. We hope that she will find enjoyment and pleasure in her work visiting the school, and that she will be free and ready to suggest some necessary improvement in the setting. There were reports by John Humphrey Evans, Mathew H. Williams, Catherine Parry, Mary Jones Williams, Margretta Thomas, Annie Parry, and songs by Judith Griffith (Christmas carol of Mr L. J. Roberts), Annie Hughes, and Florrie Roberts. Mr Thomas Evans, Dinas Ddu spoke during the meeting; John Hughes, Overseer of two school managers). Owen Jones, Eliazar Jones, John Williams, and Hugh Williams, who gave the children many good tips. Prizes were won by Annie Hughes, Mary Parry, Janet Roberts, Mary Humphreys, Alun Hughes, John Humphrey Evans, John M Roberts, Thomas W. Parry, John Jones, Maggie Humphreys, Mathew H. Williams, Robert Williams, Willie Thomas, Mary Jane Williams, Florrie Roberts, and Martha Jane Thomas. Through a vote the children decided that Annie Hughes, Tanrhiw, was “the girl for discovery”, and Mathew H. Williams, Brynkynnon, “the ‘find boy” at the school, and received both awards. We are sorry that only three school managers could attend. We trust that they will all meet in order to arrange a meeting again like the above, on one evening, and give the children a “tea party” in the afternoon. It is a pity that the children of our area are missing out on other areas in this respect.

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

2012: Beddgelert school gets ready to celebrate 100th birthday

posted in: Newspapers | 0

PUPILS in Beddgelert will celebrate the school’s 100th birthday next week.

Children, teachers and pupils past and present will celebrate the impact Ysgol Beddgelert has had on the community over the past century.

There will be two days of celebrations at the school on Lon Caernarfon on Friday, May 25-26 to mark the event.

Pupils will dress up in past uniforms and learn about how school life was different a century ago. They will take part in role plays and will also perform a Welsh song accompanied by the harp for visitors. There will be commemorative slates and coasters handed out to pupils and a special poem written for the centenary will be read out.

On Saturday, people with links to the school will be invited to share memories and to view old photos. It’s also hoped current pupils will go up against adults in a commemorative football match.

Catrin Gwilym, headteacher, said the school’s 100th birthday was an important event to mark.

“It’s something that gets the community back together and in to the school. We’ve had people from the village who used to attend the school come in and the children have asked them questions. Some can remember funny stories when they were in school and how it’s different now.”

Megan Corcoran, a parent governor who is helping to organise the festivities, urged people to go along and celebrate the day. She said: “From a heritage point of view local history is important in the community to realise how education has come along in the last 100 years.”

 

Source: North Wales Daily Post, published 17 May 2012FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

1893: Nant Gwynant Treat

posted in: Newspapers | 0

On Friday afternoon, the inhabitants of this vale assembled at the Board School to enjoy a treat given them by Sir Edward and Lady Watkin, of the Chalet.

Sir Edward Watkin, M.P., and Lady Watkin attended, and there were also present Mrs Edgar Watkin, Mrs Wyatt and Misses Wyatt, of Bryn Gwynant: Rev Daniel Vaudrey, Plas Gwynant. and Rev J. C. Martin. The tables, which had been tastefully laid out, were presided over by Mrs Hill, Miss Miller, Miss Gibsons, Miss Walker, Miss Fenton, Mr Sutton, of the Chalet; Miss Davies, Castell; Miss Roberts, Bron Graig; Misses Jones, Post-office; Miss Williams, Glanaber; Miss Roberts, Bryntirion; Mrs E. Williams, and Mrs M. Griffiths.

At 3.30 p m., about 50 of the Sunday School children sat down to tea, and ample justice was done to the many good things laid before them. After tea, a short miscellaneous meeting was held. Some English and Welsh songs were sung by the children. Songs were also given by Mr Owen Williams and his party.

The Rev D. Vaudrey delivered a short address to the children. The Rev G. Owen proposed, and Mr W. Roberts, Bron Graig, seconded a vote of thanks to Sir Edward and Lady Watkin for their kindness in providing the excellent treat. All present expressed their thanks and good wishes by giving loud and hearty cheers.

Sir Edward, in responding, referred to his Welsh descent, and humorously claimed for himself the title of the heir of Wynnstay. He referred to the many positions of esteem and honour occupied by Welshmen and to their ability in quitting themselves like men in their different positions. He had always found Welshmen as workmen giving a fair day’s work for a fair day’s wages.

During the entertainment, Lady Watkin presented the eldest member of the Sunday School – an old woman of 81 years – with a fine shawl. On dismissal, each child was presented with a bag full of biscuits and a threepenny piece. After the tables had been arranged, the elder inhabitants sat down to tea, which was much enjoyed. A singing and competive meeting brought this memorable day to a close. The arrangements were under the control of the Rev G. Owen, and in his hands the wishes of the honourable baronet and his generous lady were ably carried out.

 

Source: Carnavon & Denbigh Herald, published 19 May 1893FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

1882: An attempt to commit suicide

posted in: Newspapers | 0

Mr John Williams, master of the Nant Gwynant School, Beddgelert, made an attempt to commit suicide on Friday afternoon in last week. He was discovered by a little boy in an out-house with his throat severely cut, and both wrists lacerated. A pocket-knife had been used for the purpose. He was conveyed to Beddgelert, and medical assistance was summoned. It is stated that there are good hopes of his recovery. The motive which prompted the rash attempt is not known.

Source: The North Wales Express, published 8 December 1882FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

1876: Beddgelert Wedding

posted in: Newspapers | 0

Considerable interest was manifested at Beddgelert on Friday, the 2nd inst., on the marriage of Mr Evan Jones, who has for twelve years been master of the national school, to Miss Ellen Griffith, of Gwynant-street, Beddgelert. The service was conducted by the Rev. R. E. Priestley, incumbent of the parish. The bridegroom’s best man was Mr R. E. Williams, Portmadoc; Miss Jane Jones acted as bridesmaid. After the service the company drove to the Snowdon Ranger Hotel, where an excellent luncheon was served. On leaving and returning to the village the party was loudly cheered by the school children, who were allowed a holiday in honour of the event, and in the evening received a liberal supply of nuts and oranges.

Source: North Wales Chronicle, published 10 June 1876FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail