Address

Phone

Website

Email

Royal Goat Hotel, Beddgelert, Gwynedd LL55 4YE

01766 890224

Click here for website

Click here to contact


The hotel has 33 en-suite bedrooms, two residents’ lounges, a public bar and two restaurants.


Brief history

The Royal Goat Hotel was originally built as the Beddgelert Hotel in 1802 by Thomas Jones, whose wife had inherited the Beddgelert estate. It was conceived specifically to cater for the increasing numbers of tourists visiting Snowdon. The first tenant manager, David Pritchard promoted the story of Gelert, the loyal hound mistakenly slain by his master and created a monument known as Gelert’s Grave in a nearby field in an attempt to further boost tourism.

The hotel became the Royal & Goat Hotel in the 1870s to commemorate a visit by Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught. Other famous guests who have stayed at the hotel include Casablanca star Ingrid Bergman (while filming The Inn of the Sixth Happiness).

Owners:

1851 Goat Hotel

1865

1878

1909

1939

1998 Nov 25

2001 – 2016

2016 –

Innkeeper Judith Pritchard

David Pritchard

Richard Humphrey

J. P. Pulhan

Hotel Proprietor Winifred M Adams | Hotel Manager Humphrey W Griffiths

Grade II Listed Building

Ben and Vicky Doodson

David and Michelle Cattrall, directors of Parkfield Snowdonia, who also operate the recently refurbished Saracen’s Head

 

Also see:

2016: Royal Goat Hotel sold

1944: For Sale: The Royal Goat Hotel

1865: Brynfelin and Rhyd Ddu Copper Mines

 

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail