The Glaslyn Footbridge spans the Afon Glasgyn immediately downstream of its confluence with the Afon Colwyn. It connects the river path leading from Ty Isaf with the green near Meirion Terrace and Sygun Terrace.
The footbridge was constructed in 1951 at the Glaslyn Foundry at Porthmadog (Portmadoc).
Previously a much wider bridge had existed. The first known bridge at this point was constructed in 1871. It was known as Pont Fawr.
1871: Beddgelert – A new bridge
The attractive village of Beddgelert has been made additionally picturesque by the construction of a fine bridge, of the best materials and workmanship, connecting the houses on the island at that place with the main road. This has given accommodation to the poorer inhabitants, and to the public generally, which has long been felt. The expense of the work has been generously borne by the respected owner of the property, J. R. Ormsby Gore, Esq., M.P., Porkington; and that gentleman’s efficient agent, Mr J. Parry, Glynn Hall, has, by the inauguration of this convenience, deserved and obtained the thanks of many.
Cambrian News, 4 August 1871
1906: Bridge swept away at Beddgelert
The flood at Beddgelert rose to a great height. The “Pont Fawr,” which crosses the Glaslyn (close to the confluence of the Gwynant and the Colwyn), was swept away. It was a wooden structure, erected about thirty years ago.
Carnarvon and Denbigh Herald, 3 August 1906
1906: Horse and Trap in a River: Occupants’ remarkable escape
A party of five young people from Birmingham were driving over the temporary structure which has been erected since Beddgelert Bridge, in Carnarvonshire, collapsed in the recent flood, when the horse swerved, and caught the bridge railing. The latter gave way, and the trap, with five occupants, fell into the Colwyn river. Fortunately the water was only three foot deep at the spot where they alighted, and nobody was seriously injured. Miss Nora Fitchett, who fell under the vehicle, was severley bruised, and the others slightly. There were seven people in the trap at the time of the accident, including the driver, but two of them, Mr. J. Milligan and Mr. D. Ewen, managed to jump off as it fell.
Nottingham Evening Post, 24 August 1906
The ‘temporary’ wooden structure is shown below looking from the Meirion Terrace side towards the main road bridge. Crossing the bridge took you from Merionethshire into Caernarvonshire.
The following image is looking towards Meirion Terrace and the wooden bridge from the path near Ty Isaf. The supports beneath the bridge have been strengthened with diagonal struts.
Page last updated: 14 May 2020