Longridge News – 6 August 1970
Born in North Lodge, Whittingham in 1881 Mr. George Foden lived an interesting and colourful life. His school days were spent in Oliversons School, Goosnargh and later he served a seven year apprenticeship to painting at Whittingham Hospital. During the 1914-1918 war he served with the Royal Horse Artillery against the Turks and was wounded. On returning home he was transferred to the staff of Prestwich Mental Hospital where he retired at the age of 55 years. Following his retirement, Mr. Foden became Mine Host at the Chetham Arms Hotel, Turton, near Bolton, later moving for a short period to the Forrest Arms in Longridge. He then retired to Goosnargh where he lived in the second oldest house in the village, built in Makinsons Row in 1669, and used originally as a hand loom weaving mill.
On the death of his wife he lived alone for many years, he became a Rural District Councillor and an active member of the Longridge Co-operative Society Committee. He was also a member of the Goosnargh and Whittingham Whitsuntide Festival Committee to whom he presented a cup for the most successful boy or girl athlete on Sports Day. A few years ago his health declined and he went to live with his daughter Molly, first at Penwortham and later at Broadfield House in Leyland, where he died.
His funeral took place at Goosnargh Parish Church where for many years he was a sidesman. The viar, Canon A. Hodgson conducted the service. The Church Banner was painted and presented to Goosnargh Parish Church by another of Mr. Foden’s daughters, Mrs. Charles Gomm, who lives with her husband in London.